Saturday, June 25, 2016

An Anxiety Update

If you read my post "All About My Anxiety", you would know that I suffer from generalized anxiety disorder.  In autumn 2015, I went to see a doctor about it for the first time and I have to say I think that was one of the best decisions I have ever made.  When I went for my first visit, we worked out that going on medication would be the best option for me because therapy made me uncomfortable at the time.  After being on medication for a while I really began to see significant changes. I was able to stay out past 6:30, I showered after 7, I was able to lay in my bed for an hour sitting on my phone, I didn't have to watch the same YouTube videos every night, I could take different routes to my classes in school, without having a panic attack.  I began to talk to people about it more and more, I even got to know one of my best friends through our insomnia experiences.

For those of you uncomfortable with both medication and therapy, here are some things that I did to calm my anxiety.


  • Read a book
  • Watch a movie or your favorite TV show
  • Listen to music
  • Go for a run, walk, or bike ride
  • Wrap yourself in blankets and relax
  • Take a hot bath or shower
  • Snuggle a dog or cat
  • Drawing or painting
  • Writing in my journal
I hope this post is some help to those of you out there who also suffer with anxiety.

- Ava

No comments:

Post a Comment